Thursday, January 20, 2011

Home made crayons for a birthday party

These are the bags that my friend sewed for me for the goody bags that will go in galvanized pails for the kids. It will be filled with the crayons that I made and can be used to put special things in when they are done with the crayons.
These are the crayons that I made with the candy molds. Aren't they cute??? Easy for toddlers to pick up. I just hope they won't eat the brown one thinking it is chocolate.


I put the finished crayons in a glassine bag tied with bakers twine and then I will put a little sticker that will say crayons on it. I think they are fun!

I will be going to Utah when Kandis delivers baby Vann and so I have been working on things to put on a 2nd birthday party for Nixon while I am there. We really don't know when Kandis will have this little guy so we are going to plan on having a party with or without her around. The theme for the party is Construction trucks so I made some dump truck crayons to put in with the goody pails for the kids to take home. I used a candy mold that I found on Amazon.com and then you can use old broken crayons or you can buy new ones to make them. Just make sure you get good quality crayons because I tried it with some dollar store crayons and it did not work! So bummed to have a big mess and nothing to show for it. You put the broken crayons in an aluminum backing cup in the oven at 250 until it melts completely. Usually takes around 12 to 20 minutes. Take out of the oven and pour into the candy mold and let set. If you want to speed up the process you can put them in the freezer until COLD and then pop them out. So easy and so cute. Can't wait to do it again for another party some time.

6 comments:

Nic & Kandis said...

Those turned out so cute mom! Nixon is going to LOVE is party and so are all of his friends. Can wait to see you so soon :)

Julia Kelly said...

Lucky Nixon and friends! So very cute!

Kristin Rose said...

What a cute idea and so fun for the kiddos.

Grandmagretzky said...

How cute are you, little Grandma? What a neat idea...SO FUN!

Jay and Gwen Sessions said...

Those turned out so cute. What a fun party idea! I'm going to call you..... the High Achieving Grandma. Since when are we incharge of birthdays? I better get started. Save everything!

Nic said...

You'll have to remind me to not eat those, they look delicious. You are awesome! We're excited to see you and have you stay with us at Chateau Bennion.