Sunday, September 28, 2008

Fishing at Fuller Lake



On Friday evening Sid and I decided to go fishing (well, you know it was Sid's idea) They had just planted Fuller Lake with trout so we decided to go up and give it a try. The day was beautiful and the weather was perfect so it was a fun drive. We decided to take Rusty with us to let him get away from home!! Well, we get to the lake and get out of the truck and walk toward the dam and right in front of us was a bear. I guess we spooked the little guy and he ran off up the side of the road. Rusty was not on a leash at this point and started to chase the bear so Sid yelled at him to come back and luckily he obeyed (That is a first!). This was a little bear cub and really so cute but we were worried that the mother must be close by since it was so small. A couple of people who were fishing at the lake said it had been playing around the side of the dam and they did not see a mother bear around. We thought that was fine and set up our stuff to fish at the lucky spot that we had fished before. First cast, and Sid landed a fish. Second cast, and Sid landed a fish. I cast and caught a fish but he wiggled off when I was pulling up the side of the dam. As we were fishing we noticed the bear was approaching us from behind and was slowly creeping back up the side towards us. Rusty was on a leash at this point so we thought he was trying to cross the dam. We moved our stuff and let him pass over the dam but he decided to try and get our fish that were on the stringer in the lake. Sid was not having that so he yelled at the bear to leave and he scampered off across the dam to the other side of the dam. We kept an eye on him from that vantage point and he tried to come back and get our fish a couple of more times. He was the cutest thing ever!! I didn't have my camera with me and Sid didn't have his camera either. Oh, well, the fishing was GREAT and we caught our limit and went on our way! I did take pictures of the fish that we caught, (I caught the biggest one!) Sid caught the most but I caught the biggest! We had them for dinner last night and they were really good.

3 comments:

Kristin Rose said...

What a fun day out in the fresh air. That is too funny that the bear cub kept trying to eat your dinner!! I would have been scared that the momma bear was around somewhere too.

Alexis said...

I so miss fishing, that really sounds like a lot of fun, minus the bear creeping up. That would have made for some great video. I'm sure that Rusty enjoyed being away from home too.

Stacie said...

Man that bear would've scared me away, I am a wimp. Anyway, the boys sure miss fishing with you guys. Every time Andrew sees a lake he says he wants to go fishing again.